The efficient respiratory tract of the bird means they are extremely susceptible to the irritating, toxic, and potentially fatal effects of inhaling strong fumes and/or vapors. The most well-known problem is the potentially fatal release of toxic Teflon gas from super heated nonstick cookware. Other non-stick items include stove drip pans, irons, ironing board covers, bread makers, and other household appliances. Always keep your bird out of the room when using spray products of any kind.
Air Fresheners, including Plug-Ins, Potpourri, Carpet Fresheners, and Incense
Hair Spray, Deodorant, Fingernail Polish and Polish Remover, Colognes and Perfumes
Ammonia, Bleach, Stain Removers, Bathroom Cleaners (and any other caustic cleaning products)
Oven Cleaners and Fumes from Self-cleaning Ovens
Insecticides of Any Type
Open toilet lids and filled bathtubs
Large open containers of water
Temperature extremes (cage placed near exterior doors, air vents, direct sunlight)
Toxic household plants
Soft plastic rubber items
Paper with lots of colored inks
Heavy metals may be found in a variety of household items including leaded stained glass decoration, some mini blinds, old paint on woodwork, costume jewelry, and curtain weights.
Finally, beware of other household pets who may unintentionally or intentionally chew on your bird. If dogs and cats share real estate space with your feathered friend never leave them unsupervised.
Blanchard S. Companion Parrot Handbook. PBIC, Inc.; Alameda, CA., 1999. Pp. 66, 131.
Stoltz JH, Galey F, Johnson B. Sudden death in ten psittacine birds associated with the operation of a self-cleaning oven. Veterinary and Human Toxicology 34(5): 420-421, 1992.